Monday, January 28, 2008

Christmas Pool Jump

The Gardner's have a strange Christmas tradition. It all started when Cole came home from BYU as a starving student. His parents told him they would pay him 20$ if he jumped into to pool on Christmas morning. The pool was freezing and frosted with ice and he had to swim all the way across. This started the the annual Gardner Christmas morning pool jump. His brothers and sister did it for years and after I married in I even did it twice. It got stranger as the years progressed. A 10$ bill pinned on a speedo, a 100$ in a baggie on the bottom of the deep end. The last year the elder Gardners hosted it , Cole and I decided to go out with a bang. I jumped in a bikini 5 months pregnant and Cole in my materinty suit, pot belly and all! It was quite a sight and talked about for a while.
Last year we decided to start it again with our children. Times have changed and 20$ was not much of a enticement, little buggers! We heated our pool and they had to grab bags of unknown alotments of cash. This year we did gift cards but no pool heating. Erik was the only one to chicken out. Cole's brother brought his girlfriend to watch and I am sure she thinks we are child abusers after seeing Erik cry and scream not to go in.


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

dezertgirlaz said...

So because I am technically a Gardner too, do I get to join in on the fun next year?! You know I am all over this kind of stuff! I will spare your children the site of me in a bikini though! That would be child abuse for sure!!

Gardner Family said...

You can Leslie but it has to be before we open presents! Can you handle that.

dezertgirlaz said...

Apparently I have not shared with you the little secret that on Christmas morning I am still very much the little kid and way up very early on that day! It's true I need professional help, I'm pretty sure!

Alene said...

I think you should sell tickets to the event this year...especially if Coleman brings back the bikini!!