Thursday, January 1, 2009

Annual Christmas Morning Pool Jump

The Gardner's have a tradition that they offer $$$ for any (Gardner) child who is willing to jump into freezing water Christmas morning before opening gifts. It started when Cole was in college and came home for Christmas vacation flat broke. His dad has perfected it over the years. Extra cash if you wear a speedo or jock. Diving to the bottom for bags with different amounts. And even envelopes with undisclosed amounts of money so that you weren't even sure of getting $5 or $100. I have even done it twice. Cole and I started up the tradition again when we got our own pool. This was our third year. I have decided our children are spoiled since no one but Ryan would jump this year. Ryan got 50 big ones for being the only brave one. Maybe next year we will get some more volunteers. Good job Ryan!

 
It was a toasty 57 degrees!

 
Mom waiting with a warm towel.

 
Ryan with his hard earned cash.

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

CYOJ class info said...

Ryan, you are a man!! I can't believe you jumped in that freezing cold water. I think you should double the money. Way to go!

Dennison Family said...

Way to go Ryan!! I'm glad you made him spend it on himself, rather than for his brothers!!

Cresta said...

Yay!! I knew I heard of somebody doing this! We tried it this year and it was a hit... I love the baggy idea with different $$$ amounts!

Unknown said...

You guys and the Topols!!! You're CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!